This job does not exist anymore.
Or fill in the form below to receive job alerts.
|Location||West London, London|
|Area||UK - London, UK|
|Skills||DevOps & Linux - DevOpsDevOps & Linux - Developer|
|Salary||Circa £35k to £45k plus excellent benefits|
|Telephone||+44 (0)20 7871 8558|
This is a great opportunity for a Junior Software Developer to join a UK Government body that is at the forefront of Digital Archiving to develop their career whilst securing the UK's digitised history and collections for future generations. Working within a predominately Scala (nice to have), Java, XML and Linux environment (all essential), you will develop a range of predominantly back-end petabyte-scale data archiving and access systems with opportunities to learn new technologies (e.g. Scala) and develop your career with a supportive team environment. £35k to £45k DOE. West London. SC clearance required (5 years UK residency or more)
In this varied and challenging role, you will create, develop and enhance these innovative and high-profile services, ensuring that they can handle the latest digital records as diverse new record formats are transferred to the archives for permanent preservation and access. You will have the opportunity to work on new initiatives, currently in discovery phase, as well as working on the development of live services.
Key Role and Responsibilities for the Junior Software Developer includes:
* Undertake design, development and maintenance of digital products and services, working with external suppliers where necessary.
* Apply relevant software development standards to ensure product quality, undertake code review and agree goals for continuous self-improvement.
* Undertake production system support, taking ownership of issues through to successful resolution so that the operation / availability of this key system is maintained effectively.
* Be an active part of the wider external development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing experiences.
* Develop and maintain a knowledge of digital preservation technologies and the latest world-wide developments in the field.
Essential skills required for the Software Developer include:
* Good experience of programming in Java.
* Good working knowledge of XML Schema; experience of processing large XML documents or languages such as XQuery and Schematron would be a bonus.
* Experience of development in a Red Hat Enterprise or CentOS Linux environment
* Working knowledge of Test-driven / Agile methodologies
Desirable skills required for the Junior Software Developer include:
* Experience of developing, deploying and debugging applications on Tomcat
* Good understanding of Source Control Tools, such as Git
* Experience of continuous integration (Jenkins) / testing methodologies (TDD / BDD)
* Experience of Scala or a desire to learn Scala
In return you can expect a competitive starting salary of £35k to £45k DOE plus excellent benefits including:
* 36 working hour week with generous flexi-leave scheme and flexible working arrangements (subject to agreement).
* Annual leave starting at 22 days plus increasing to 25 days after 1 year and then an additional day each year until it reaches 30 days after 6 years employment
* 10.5 privilege days per year including universal state (Bank, Christmas, etc.) holidays
* Buy or sell up to three days leave each year
* Option of occupational defined benefit pension or stakeholder with significant Employer contribution starting at 26% of salary.
* Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 3 weeks full pay (provided eligibility criteria are met)
* Season Ticket Loan
* On-site Gym
If you are ambitious Junior Software Developer looking for diverse learning and development opportunities to develop your career within a supportive team environment, who at the forefront of Digital and Data Archiving to secure the UK's digitised history and collections for future generations, then apply now or contact Andrew Medhurst at Inspire People on 020 7871 8558.
Inspire People is a named Crown Commercial supplier of permanent recruitment services to the Public Sector and is acting an employment agency providing recruitment services to individuals and employers.
"Junior Software Developer", Developer, Programmer, XML, XMLSchema, Java, Linux, RedHat, Scala, Git, Agile