This job does not exist anymore.
Or fill in the form below to receive job alerts.
|Location||West London, London|
|Area||UK - London, UK|
|Skills||DevOps & Linux - Developer|
|Salary||£55k to £60k depending upon salary plus excellent benefits|
|Telephone||+44 (0)20 7871 8558|
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Senior Developer to join a UK Government body that is at the forefront of Digital Archiving to develop their career whilst securing the UK's digitised history and collections for future generations. Working within a predominately Scala, Java, XML and Linux environment (all essential, Scala overview is fine), you will influence the future design of peta-byte scale systems and help set the technical direction, mentoring staff, undertaking code review as well as writing high quality code yourself. £55k to £60k DOE plus excellent benefits (26% pension). West London.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain SC level clearance and will need to have lived in the UK for the past 5 years or more.
In this varied and challenging role, you will create, develop and enhance these innovative and high-profile services, ensuring that they can handle the latest digital records as diverse new record formats are transferred to the archives for permanent preservation and access. You will have the opportunity to work on new initiatives, setting technical direction and mentoring team members.
Key Role and Responsibilities for the Senior Developer includes:
* Undertake design, development and maintenance of digital products and services, working with external suppliers where necessary.
* Apply relevant software development standards to ensure product quality, undertake code review and agree goals for continuous self-improvement
* Undertake production system support, taking ownership of issues through to successful resolution so that the operation / availability of this key system is maintained effectively
* Be an active part of the wider external development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing experiences
* Develop and maintain a knowledge of digital preservation technologies and the latest world-wide developments in the field
Essential skills required for the Senior Developer include:
* Excellent experience of programming in Java
* Excellent working knowledge of XML Schema; experience of processing large XML
documents or languages such as XQuery and Schematron would be a bonus.
* Experience of development in a Red Hat Enterprise or CentOS Linux environment
* Working knowledge of Test-driven / Agile methodologies
Desirable skills required for the Senior Developer include:
* Experience of developing, deploying and debugging applications on Tomcat.
* Good understanding of Source Control Tools, such as Git.
* Experience of continuous integration (Jenkins) / testing methodologies (TDD / BDD.
* Experience of Scala or a desire to learn Scala.
In return you can expect a competitive starting salary of £55k to £60k DOE plus excellent benefits including:
* 36 working hour week with generous flexi-leave scheme and flexible working
arrangements (subject to agreement).
* Annual leave starting at 22 days plus increasing to 25 days after 1 year and then an
additional day each year until it reaches 30 days after 6 years employment
* 10.5 privilege days per year including universal state (Bank, Christmas, etc.) holidays
* Buy or sell up to three days leave each year
* Option of occupational defined benefit pension or stakeholder with significant Employer contribution starting at 26% of salary.
* Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 3 weeks full pay (provided eligibility criteria are met)
* Season Ticket Loan
* On-site Gym
If you are ambitious Software Developer looking for diverse learning and development opportunities to develop your career within a supportive team environment, who at the forefront of Digital and Data Archiving to secure the UK's digitised history and collections for future generations, then apply now or contact Andrew Medhurst at Inspire People on 020 7871 8558.
Inspire People is a named Crown Commercial supplier of permanent recruitment services to the Public Sector and is acting an employment agency providing recruitment services to individuals and employers.
"Software Developer", "Lead Developer", Programmer, XML, XMLSchema, Java, Linux, RedHat, Scala, Git, Agile